I have been seeing recipes on many of the blogs I follow using plantains (they are like large unripe bananas) and saw some the other day in a fruit shop so bought some and decided to give a couple of recipes a go. I have plantain chips in the dehydrator as we speak and made this fantastic pancake!
The pancake is light and fluffy and served with yoghurt, shaved pear and 11 seed & nut paleo muesli. So good with my morning coffee for brunch! The original recipe comes from http://www.thepaleomom.com.
- 1 plantain (mine was black but I think you can use when green too)
- 2 eggs
- pinch salt 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 pear shaved or thinly sliced
- dollop of yoghurt (can use DF option) to serve
- 11 seed & nut muesli to serve – omit for nut free version
- Cut and peel plantain (I had to slice the skin off)
- Blend all ingredients in high speed blender to make a batter.
- Fry in a frypan with a little coconut oil like you would a normal pancake.
- Serve with dollop of yoghurt, shaved pear and muesli.
Makes 3-4 pancakes.