Just in case you were begin to think that all I’ve been cooking lately is rocky road and sweet treats, here’s a savoury side salad perfect for any time of year but especially good for Christmas because of the colours! Great either warm or cold. For a paleo or dairy free option, just omit the fetta, simple! The beetroot tasted AMAZING roasted in coconut oil but you could also use macadamia oil.
- 1-2 large beetroot, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 2 Tbsp chopped pistachios
- fetta to sprinkle (optional)
- Toss the peeled and segmented beetroot in oil, spread on an oven tray covered in baking paper and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in the oven at 190C/375F for about 40 mins until tender and starting to be a little bit crispy around the edges. You may need to toss or turn once.
- If serving warm, wait until the beetroot is cooked then simmer the broccolini in water on the stove for a few mins until starting to soften but don’t overcook or it will lose it’s green-ness. If serving cold, you can pre-cook the broccolini just make sure you really cool it down quickly after cooking.
- Drain broccolini and rinse under cool water.
- To serve spread the broccolini on the platter, top with beetroot and sprinkle with fetta and pistachios.
Here it is without the fetta, ie the paleo/DF option:
I remember a while ago I had a request to post more salad recipes. I think now that Spring has sprung in sunny Brisbane, Australia, it feels much more like salad weather and so, I’m finding more salad inspiration again! I do find that grated salads are a good way to eat a larger amount of vegetables and they are colourful too, which is visually appealing and they say it’s good to ‘eat the rainbow’ to get a variety of vitamins & goodness!
There are many variations to this salad depending on what’s in season/you have in your fridge. A few toasted pepitas, sunflower seeds and/or chopped nuts would be nice on top too (unless you want the AIP version).
Raw grated salad with orange dressing
1 medium beetroot, peeled
1 large carrot, peeled
1-2 handfuls kale
1-2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
1 ruby grapefruit
Juice 1/2 orange
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tsp mustard (leave out for AIP)
1 tsp apple cigar vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Grate beetroot, carrot, zucchini and apple.
2. Finely chop or blitz in a food processor, kale and spinach.
3. Mix all vegetables in large bowl.
4. Cut skin off grapefruit and dice, stir through salad mix.
5. Top with diced avocado and dressing.
In a small jar shake together all dressing ingredients, adjust to taste.
And if there is any left, eat the leftovers for lunch the next day, that’s what I did: