I wanted to take a ‘sweet treat’ to Sydney for a family catch-up whilst my sister was visiting from London. I also was trying to make something AIP compliant. Not an easy task! I came up with the idea of making a caramel sauce using coconut cream and then putting it into a chocolate (see choc-caramel bites). Because of the sugar it’s not really paleo or AIP – you could use honey instead depending on how strict you are, but in the end I came up with a yummy, thick caramel that tasted good and in the end, that was good enough for me!
- 1 tin coconut cream
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut palm sugar/honey/brown sugar
- 5-6 medjool dates (puts removed)
1. Pour the coconut cream and the sugar into a saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer until it’s caramelised enough. If you don’t want it thickened you can just use it as is.
3. To thicken, puree 5-6 medjool/fresh dates in a food processor or blender. Gradually add the caramel sauce until it reaches the desired consistency.
* I mixed about half the liquid into the puree’d dates and just saved the other half as a runnier sauce. If you want the whole lot thickened you may need to add more dates.